- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 TBS flax seeds
- 3 TBS wheat germ
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two baking sheets that have sides (I used the base to my broiler pan and a metal 13×9 cake pan).
- Thoroughly mix the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, wheat germ, almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, and shredded coconut in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan on the stove on low, melt the butter, honey and brown sugar until warm but not hot.
- Remove from heat, immediately mix in the vanilla extract, then pour over the oats/seeds. Mix until they are all coated evenly.
- Spread in a thin layer – maybe 1/4 inch – on the baking sheets.
- Bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes. Check and stir around 20 minutes, then keep a close eye (and nose!) because once it starts burning, it burns quickly. I stirred at 20, then took it out at 26 minutes. **If you want chunky granola, do not stir!**
- Cool, then add all the fruit and mix well. If you want chunky granola, break up the granola into pieces and mix fruit throughout.
Makes 6 cups of granola.
Turns out there are a lot of ways to make granola. This stuff turned out pretty tasty. Derek said it was too “seedy” but I like the seeds. I think we added too many apricot pieces – a half a cup would’ve been perfect. We tried this over yogurt, on oatmeal and eaten like cereal… I can imagine it’d be tasty on ice cream as well. Hmm… we have leftover vanilla ice cream from the ice cream sandwich cookies…0